Friday, May 4, 2007

So, what do you do?


I like my job and this is why.

I have my own office (ok, it doesn’t have windows and the walls are painted that nonchalant taupe color, but my name’s on the door). Our kitchen has a Flavia machine. The two of us have a pretty good relationship.
As long as I come in on time, work responsibly, and don’t blast music too loud no one really seems to care what I’m doing. My official title sounds busy and statuesque. I have sweet business cards. The company sends me to conferences and I’m allowed to make them pay for my food. But I’m slowly coming to the realization that it’s not very hard to make a living. If my Mom was here she’s add, “but it IS hard to make a life” and then we’d hug. What’s noteworthy is that out of a 9 hour day, minus the all-important lunch hour, it amazes me how I’ve perfected the Art of Multitasking. YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, googlechat, various, actual work related documents (Word, Excel, Outlook), and somehow I accomplish more than enough and still find enough time to talk myself out of closing my door and napping; forehead to desk.

Oh, God bless day jobs.

No comments: